Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cellar Finds!

Do you know what's in your cellar..basement...shed...barn??

I don't have a clue! First you need to understand that we don't have a basement. We have an old 'Dorothy of Oz' cellar. Until 2 years ago, the only way to access it was from the outside, lifting the old Bilco doors, and going down the old concrete (and cobweb filled) stairs, then entering via an old door.

We had someone put a trap door with steps leading down from one of the bedrooms. So even with easier access - I just avoid at all costs going down into that dingy dungeon where there is still a large area of dirt floor where the former coal furnace sat.

Yesterday I got it in my head that I wanted to find some canning jars. I need them for future DIY's I want to try, and just have never been one to save glass jars - whoa is me! Who knew that along with the ice cream maker, counter top mixer, bread maker, and boxes of mason jars I sold in a garage sale; someday I would want ALL of those things back! NOW, a saver I will become.

Anyway, taking my spouse by the hand, I led the way to a few of our local thrift shops. Here are my finds from the day:
pretty nice, right? Especially the one gallon container with pour spout that Dusty found!

We were home about an hour or so when she asked me if we had gotten rid of the canning jars that were on a shelf in the cellar. I am almost ashamed to admit that I spend so little time down there that I never knew about them! So this morning I decided it was time to bundle up in my spider protective gear, and go take a look.  This is what I found!
Now I am the proud owner of 15 glass bottles! I also found the plant starter tray, that led right into remembering a tin of various seeds a friend gave me back in March! 

I started digging through that after I dug it out of a storage closet, and have a plethora of vegetable, flower, and herb seeds to play with! The find of the day?? The lemon cucumber seeds! I love them, and have not found any in a long time. Now I can see if any of them have life left!


Well, the moral of this story? Do NOT throw anything away, or have a garage sale, because 2 years later you will want it back!

If you have areas in, under or around your home that you have not been into for a while, GO check them out! Amazing the things you may find.

1 comment:

  1. I can see that it is going to be really hard for you waiting for spring to arrive. I need to get to some thrift stores myself. The seeds last quite a while I think. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete